A valuable sermon - Don't Give Up!

Hey all,

Ben and I had a wonderful weekend relaxing at our house - it was a much needed weekend of doing absolutely nothing. I haven't slept that much in probably years, so I guess I needed that! We went to church yesterday and I can't seem to get the sermon out of my head. I wish all of you could have heard this sermon, it was really a valuable lesson in life. Anyone can relate to it, as we have all had tough times and many of us out there are worried about our health, our jobs, our financial situation, etc. It talked about how living the Christian life is not easy, and how when you think nothing else can go wrong, everything turns around for the better and you realize what you have just gone through is really a blessing. You wouldn't be the same person if you had not gone through it. It began with these verses from 2 Corinthians 4:8-9

8) We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9) persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.

Our pastor talked about how you must pray for exactly what you need - don't beat around the bush. If you are having health issues, ask for the strength to keep on going.  If you are having troubles in your marriage, ask Him to strengthen your bond. If you are having financial troubles, ask Him what you should do to overcome this obstacle. If you find yourself without a job, ask Him to give you the courage to go out there and find another one. He said you must be specific and that you must not forget the power of prayer.

I personally found this sermon very comforting and thought I would share it with all of you.

Don't give up!

Love you all!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so right, Kerri! Prayer is such a powerful thing. God listens to all our prayers and He knows exactly what we need. We are His children and He wants the best for us. Not giving up and having the perseverance to keep going and seeking God is what we all need to do. Steve and I pray specifically for you each day that you will be healed. We know God hears our prayers and will answer them. We love you and Ben! Stay strong and don't give up! Love, Mrs. Linda

Anonymous said...

Kerri, thank you so much for sharing your Sunday church experience. You articulated so well the sermon theme and it's application to your current place and trial. Reading your blog was better than being there and hearing the sermon live. You put a pretty face and a real life situation to the sermon theme. Also, thank you for sharing the scripture; I will remember it and apply it in my life going forward.

It takes a spiritually mature person to see God's will in what you are going through. Linda and I will keep praying for you every day; very specific prayers for you and Ben. How could we not do so when you have given us such a vivid indication of how HE has already answered our prayers.

I love you!
Mr Steve

Anonymous said...

Sweetie, It is so awesome to listen how the sermon related to our life. You are so strong, I got the same confort on Sunday that you did, I just can't articulate like you do. Its amazing how you are going threw this, yet you are the strong one making others stronger with the help of GOD. Thank you for being such a loving strong wife I love you Ben

Anonymous said...

I have felt the presence of God in our lives, also. I am so thankful for the blessings during your treatment. God has provided for Steve in a time of employment insecurity. Moreover, God has erased the nodules from my mother's lungs. He is so powerful! God Bless! We love you!
Brandy & Stephen

miss you and love ya'll!
Stephen

Anonymous said...

Kerri,

I have been thinking about you ever since I heard the news of your having Lymphoma. I was behind your mom today in the voting line and we talked the entire time (an hour of line waiting, which sucked, but a great chance to talk to your mom and hear how strong you have been through it all)...she is such a sweet lady! I just love her. Anyway, I'm glad that you are handling the chemo so well and from what your mom says and from what I read on your blog, you have an amazing attitude! Which, does not come as a surprise - you have always had an awesome attitude about everything. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I have been thinking about you. Hang in there, chic....hope to see you soon.

Love ya,

Jessica Harmon