1 down! Its over...at least for now.

Hey all,


First things first, I survived the first treatment!  Yesterday was a double whammy because I had the port put in in the morning and chemo in the afternoon.  The port took about an hour to put in, and they did make me super sleepy which was good.  Ben and my Dad went to get me Chick-fil-a right after so that made me happy!  You all know anytime I can eat I am happy.  I felt better after getting something in my stomach - it was roaring like a freight train before they wheeled me in the radiology room.  I am so sore today - it feels like someone punched me in the chest.  You don't realize how much you use those muscles until someone cuts them!  The port is sewn into my chest wall and believe me, I can feel it.  It hurts to smile, it hurts to talk, and turning over in the bed is nearly impossible.  I have been trying to take Tylenol instead of the Loritab because that stuff is so strong and I would rather be coherent than just sleep 24 hours a day.  Its working ok and hopefully it won't be as sore tomorrow.

Ok, so on to the chemo.  They wheeled me to the next building where my oncologist is (pretty convenient!) and I got my own room which was nice.  They nurses began giving me an anti-nausea drip and then started the chemo.  I am on a regimen called ABVD which is 4 different drugs.  The A drug is the strongest of the bunch and its the one that will basically kill every cell in its path, make your hair fall out, make you pee red, and just make you feel terrible.  I got that one first and then on to the others.  I was thinking that I would immediately feel bad but I didn't at all.   After it was all said and done, it took a little over 2 hours.  The port is a life-saver, all they do is hook it up and you just sit there!  They can even draw blood from it which ROCKS.  I hate needles so this is just awesome!  I will absolutely endure some soreness if I never have come in contact with the idiots that can't put an IV in.  

So, all in all - it wasn't that bad.  I am wondering if this stuff will really hit me tomorrow - the nurse said it might wait a couple days to show its ugly face.  I am pretty tired today, but its nothing I can't handle.

I am going to try my hardest to make it to the USC-UAB game this weekend, its driving me crazy not being able to be with my Gamecocks.

Thank you to my awesome husband Ben, and my wonderful parents for being there with me yesterday - I love yall!

I will be in touch!  Until then, thanks for the comments, cards, flowers, emails, and calls - yall are too sweet!  

Love you all!

Kerri

6 comments:

The Herron Family said...

Kerri 1 Chemo/Cancer 0

keep up the good work!

Love ya

Unknown said...

When this is all over we are throwing Kerri a party and we are treating it like she won a World Championship, but this is harder than that! And yes, we will be dousing her with Champagne and Beer!
Keep kicking cancers ass girl! I love you!
Lauren

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl,

I just learned about your blog today and let me just say that it is so amazing that you are allowing us to be a part of this with you. You are truly amazing and your strength astounds me. Ry Ry and I are gonna work on spelling your name so when we see you the next time she can do a cheer for you!! We love you. -Lori

Anonymous said...

Kerri, Congrats on 1 down. Your strength is truly amazing. I know with your positive attitude and strength you are going to knock the "Big C" down to a "Little c" and all the wind out of its sails.

Both you and Ben are in all our thoughts and prayers. I am so grateful for your Blog and being able to keep up with your progress. Stay strong and committed.

Love to you both, Bunny

Anonymous said...

Hey Kerri Stoli-Doli Oli!

I wanted to reach out to you and let you know that all of us at TCH Magazine miss you and are thinking about you. You are my first attempt at blogging.I have no idea what I am doing.
Anyway, we miss your smiling face a lot, and we want to come see you and bring you gifts or take you to PURE!
Keep your spirits high, and your faith strong. We are here for you. If there is anything you need please email me or call me, anytime. Oh yeah, How about them GATORS? I bet Steve Spurrier's blood pessure is boiling.
Take Care, Candace

Unknown said...

Kerri,
I was about to leave a comment after your 1st blog, when a friend called to say her nephew who had Hodgkins a # of years ago just became a father! I nearly cried, and don't even know him!Your blog is super, but not nearly as super as you!
Love,
Rainbow