1st Cancerversary

Happy Dance Pictures, Images and Photos


On Saturday, it will be ONE YEAR since I finished all treatments.  This is my so-called first "cancerversary".  Hallelujah!  Thank you God!  Some of you may be confused and think I've celebrated my "one year" anniversary before this - but that was actually my one year in remission on Dec. 2.  So, I've got two big days that I can celebrate each year.  Which is fine by me!  I love celebrations, especially when they are about kicking some cancer booty!  

So, what's changed in a year?  Well, this time last year I was eating mashed potatoes and milk shakes, and I was battling a sore throat from radiation.  BLECH.  Yeah mashed taters and ice cream are good and all, but not really what a diet should solely consist of.  Lately I've been pretty focused on clean eating.  What's clean eating?  Well, my definition of it is that you are always alert about what you are putting into your body.  Check out Clean Eating Magazine - I LOVE this magazine!  I have been trying HARD to buy only organic meats, eggs, milk, and some vegetables.  I've also been trying to only eat whole grains.  I've been doing pretty darn good.  I am trying not to really eat as much meat anymore, but that's difficult when you have a carnivore for a husband.  ;)  Love you Ben, and don't be sorry about it - you're a guy for crying out loud.  That's what you love.  Why am I doing that?  Well my Mom gave me a book called "The Kind Diet" by Alicia Silverstone.  It's pretty tough to read, and it made me tear up a bit just because I am such an animal lover.  It's just awful what they do to animals that will be used for food these days, actually it's downright disgusting. If you read it, I bet you won't eat much meat anymore either.  I try to only buy meats that have the organic label, and there's certain ones that say "raised ethically" or "cage free".  The "Kind Diet" is pretty tough to follow though (it's Vegan, aka hardcore), so I'm trying my best to eat sensibly.  I can definitely feel a difference, especially in my digestive system.  Of course I let myself go crazy with food during the Holidays, but who doesn't???  If my Mama's dressing is in front of my face, you better bet your money I'm gonna eat it, and A LOT of it.  Gah that stuff should be illegal it's so flippin' good.  After the New Year, I got back into the gym (with the millions of other people, thank goodness they've fallen off the wagon and I can actually get a machine now!!!).  I have been going full force at least 3 times a week, every single week since then.  Ben has been running like a mad man too.  He can run 6 miles without stopping now - my goodness!  Way to go Ben!  I guess that's what 15+ years of intense soccer training will do for you.  His legs have no problem whatsoever running that far.  Hmmmm ME?  Not so much.  I'm not a runner by any means.  I stick to my elliptical machine and run/walk interval training.  So, we both are doing good with our food and exercise routines.

Other than that - I'm more mentally stable now.  Not like I was ever looney or anything, but if you can imagine going through cancer treatment...it's not the easiest thing on the mind!  I still have those thoughts that linger in the back of my mind about cancer, but they aren't as "loud" as they used to be.  Of course they ring loud and clear when a scan is on the horizon, and sure enough another one is just around the corner.  Scanxiety ahead...UGH.

Can yall start praying for me now?  Pretty please?

Hope all of you are having a fantastic week!  I can't believe it's almost March 1st...and you all know what that means?  Daylight savings and spring temps are on the way.  YAY!  Have a great weekend!!

Love to all,

11 comments:

The Johnson Family said...

I'm standing the hotel room knocking my knees together like Jim Carey - why? Because it's a celebration for you and it's been a year - CONGRATS!

HOORAY for number 1 and many, many more to come...

Love you,

DAD

Anonymous said...

So glad, happy, joyful, thankful, gleeful, and feelin so good that it's been a year since you finished up your treatment! We have your back where the prayers are concerned. Love to you and Ben and so proud of you both!!! Love, Mrs. Linda

Anonymous said...

Yay! Happy One Year Cancerversary!! :) I'm so happy for you! Enjoy your special day and celebrate how far you've come! We're all so proud of you and love you! Love you much! Kristen

Anonymous said...

Happy--Happy--Happy---Love the cake---the dance---and YOU---Mom

Anonymous said...

Had so much fun celebrating this weekend

Congrats

I love you

Eve Bralley said...

Congratulations Kerri!! I am so happy for your milestone. Yes, I believe you get to acknowledge all of the celebratory occasions for sure!

I love your word scanxiety...explains it perfectly!! I will be holding you in my thoughts for a beautiful scan.

Happy Spring!

Mary said...

:)
YAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!
Love,
Mrs.H

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Sis!! We are so proud of ya'll!! Love the celebration dance! Miss ya'll tons!
Stephen and Brandy

ChelseaSalomone said...

Kerri,
Hi there! I found your blog through Grace's. I have enjoyed reading your story and catching up on your blog today. You are such an inspiration! Nick has his first PET scan in about a week and a half... he is definitely nervous! Thank you for sharing your story!

Rosa said...

Yay for eating fresh organic food! Never go back, there is so much crap in the modern diet. My worst side effect from chemo was heat, cold sweats, and insomnia. I work for ChiliTechnology so I started using one of these and it was a great help to me: ChiliPad (it's a mattress pad that lets you cool the bed down to any temperature you set - it has a range from 46 to 118 degrees). I also went on an all organic macrobiotic diet, which really helped with detoxing from the chemo (and I've never gone off the diet, because I feel better eating this way than I did before cancer). The other thing I did that was really important to my healing was watch tons of stand-up comedy. I really believe laughter is the best medicine.

Jessica said...

I don't know how I missed this post, but CONGRATS!!! You have been through so much and I admire you. I am still praying for you everyday!