I've been DEPORTED!

No, not out of the country... but as of yesterday at noon I am back to my old self again - I had my port removed!  HOORAY!


Goodbye old friend, you helped me get through 9 rounds of poison and saved every vein in my arm.  You helped me have painless blood draws.  You were a good port, always had blood returns and never really made me that uncomfortable.  Thank you for helping me with one of my greatest fears - needles.  Even though it looked as though I had been abducted by aliens, I wore you with pride.  Goodbye port, hello FREEDOM!

Yesterday was frustrating.  We were at the hospital at 7:45 am, didn't get into a room until 9:30 then we waited until 11 before I actually went into surgery.  Unbelievable!  The port removal wasn't the most pleasant of experiences either.  It took the nurse twice to find my vein for the IV, of course.  I tried to tell her which vein to use, and she went for another one.  I am a pro at this by now, and she should have listened to me!  And when she did use the vein I told her to, it went right in.  Dang, why don't they listen to me?  Then, when they began to remove my port - I could feel the tugging and pulling necessary to get it out.  I didn't really like that.  Then, to top it off, he didn't numb it up enough and I felt the doc stitching me up.  OUCH.  It isn't as sore as it was when I had it put in, but it's definitely uncomfortable today.  I am working from home, because I literally couldn't imagine getting up and attempting to get myself ready this morning with one arm/hand.  I can't use my right arm/hand that much because that's the side my port was on.  Any movement of the skin on that side of my upper body hurts.  I haven't really had the chance to be excited yet because I'm in some pain.  But, it does feel good that I'm back to just ME - no foreign objects in my body.  YAY!

I am myself again, with 1 biopsy scar, 1 port scar and 4 radiation tattoos.  Not bad.  Not bad at all.

I checked my horoscope (I'm a Leo) this morning and this is what it said:  
Any health concerns you've had should start to fade today.  You've done good work.
How fitting is that?

No more doc appointments until June, wow - now that's something to be excited about!

Love to all,

Kerri

  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you're so sore, but I'm thrilled that the port is out! Kaput...Gone! Hope you continue to feel less sore each day. We had a great time being with you and Ben this past weekend. Enjoy being completely back to normal! I'm so thankful to God for bringing you and Ben to this place! I love you! Mrs. Linda

Anonymous said...

Good work,Kerri!!! I'm a Leo too!!!
I will continue to keep you and Ben in my prayers. Tell your sweet Moma hello!
Love,
Mrs. H.

Mason Fleske said...

Hooooooray! That is fantastic news and congratulations getting through such a difficult time virtually unscathed! You're a much stronger person that you ever thought you could be...next up – marathon! Yesssss!

Anonymous said...

Thank God for ports, and thank God it's been "deported". What an awesome horoscope! We miss you and Ben and can't wait to see you next weekend.
Love,
Stephen & Brandy

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that is behind you Sweetie. I LOVE YOU VERY MUCH


BEN