17 months out

Hi all!  Long time no blog!

I hope all of you are enjoying your summer.  I'm not sure if it's ever been this hot for so many consecutive days, but I'm pretty much ready for Fall.  And FOOTBALL!  It's just around the corner.  We cannot wait to watch the Gamecocks this year - we think it's gonna be a good year, but hey we say that every year don't we?  ;)  Ben and I tried to go to the pool on Sunday, and it was too hot to sit out there - you know it's bad when you can't even go to the pool.  I believe the heat index was 110 that day...what the heck?  Come on Fall, hurry up!

I want to let you all know about my nephew Phillips - he's had a tough month!  He broke both bones in his left leg right above his ankle on July 4th.  He's got a huge black cast on it that goes above the knee.  We pray for you every day Phillips!  We love you little man!  You're gonna be as good as new in no time.  We will do something fun to celebrate when you get that cast off!

Today marks 17 months since I finished treatment.  I can honestly say that I feel better than I've felt in years.  I'm not sure if that's because I work out more now, or if I my body is completely over the pounding it took from treatment.  My stress levels are so low all the time, and that has a positive impact on my health as well.  Ben asked me the other say "do you thank God every day for your job?" and I thought about it for a minute, and realize that I don't.  I need to start.  I really do have a great job that is not stressful at all, pays well, is 10 minutes from my home, and I design pretty things all day long.  It's nice to not have to worry about that part of my life, because I remember at one time that's all I worried about.  So, thank you God for my job!

I wanted to include in this post an excerpt from my friend Grace's "there is optimism in cancer" blog (you can see it on the right column).  She hit the nail on the head when describing the actuality of becoming a cancer survivor.  She is so awesome at putting thoughts into words!

"i think a lot of this recovery process, and becoming a survivor, is about acceptance. we do a lot of denial in our lives...from the initial denial that 'cancer won't happen to me' to the whole process of denying that this cancer could kill me, that i could have serious long term health issues from treatment, and my biggest denial...that cancer won't effect me negatively at some point.

now that i've started my journey as a survivor, i'm beginning to accept things as they are. i had cancer, i will live with uncertainty for the rest of my life, i had some pretty hardcore treatment, and i have some pretty serious emotional scars. i'm also learning to accept that it's not what has happened to you, or will happen to you, but how you handle it. we can't change the hand we're dealt, but we can control how we play it. it's about taking ownership of the things we do well, and the things that we struggle with. it's about facing our difficulties, looking them right in the eye and developing ways to overcome them...or at least to live civilly with them. it's about taking steps forward, despite fears telling us to stand still. and, it's about accepting that who we are now is different than we've ever been before...and embracing the new person we have become."


I just love her writing.  Grace - I hope you don't mind that I put that on here.  I had to.  It's brilliant.  I think of you often - you are an amazing person!  Thanks for being my friend.

So, I am nearing my 2 year D-Day.  September 2nd.  It was around this time 2 years ago I found the lump, and I instantly knew something was wrong.  I still wouldn't wish that feeling on my worst enemy.

Before my D-Day is a MAJOR milestone.  I am turning 30 years old on August 22nd.  Aggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!  WHAT?  When did this happen?  I graduated college 8 years ago.  Time just disappears.  I will say goodbye to a decade that included the start of meaningful friendships, falling in love, graduating college, marriage, major decisions, buying a home, 4 jobs, a cancer diagnosis, and overall just 10 years of epic fun.  It was a whirlwind of crazy times.  I honestly look forward to my 30's - after a cancer diagnosis, you really appreciate birthdays.  They mean a lot more than they used to.

We are gearing up for Kristen's baby shower this weekend.  It's going to be such a fun time!  Ben and Matt's best friend Mike and his wife are flying in from Baltimore for it, and also Lauren Jones will be in town from Boston.  We will get to see a lot of family and friends.  Talk about a good time ahead!

Thanks for reading!  Love to all,

2 comments:

KJS said...

I hear you all are having a hard time leaving comments? I hope blogger has fixed the problem! Shoot me an email if you still cannot leave a comment: stephenson_kerri@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking the other day about how far you've come since your diagnosis...treatments, tests, more tests, etc. and I realize just how blessed we are to be where we are today. I'm so thankful you're a survivor! Love you! Mrs. Linda